Summer is nearly here and COVID-19 rates are declining across the country. That’s why many individuals and families are eager to plan a fun summer road trip. However, before you hit the open road, it is important to check your car thoroughly. After months of sitting and harsh weather conditions, a good tune-up can make your car summer road trip ready in no time.
The expert auto technicians at Kirberg Motors have created a list of items you should check before your road trip. Remember, these tips will help keep your car running smoothly, and make your trip safer.
Summer Road Trip Checklist for Your Car
Print out this handy checklist before you head out on a road trip this summer. After all, safety should always come first.
- Examine your tires
- Change to all-season or summer tires
- Change wiper blades
- Apply a synthetic hydrophobic surface-applied product, such as Rain-X to your windows
- Test your AC
- Check your brakes and brake pads
- Check coolant levels
- Get an oil change
- Top up windshield wiper fluid with a summer formula
- Check all hoses and belts for cracks or cuts
- Check all fluids, such as power steering fluids and brake fluid
- Wash your car thoroughly
- Swap out heavy-duty winter floor mats
- Restore yellow or cloudy headlights with a restoration kit
- Remove winter emergency kit and replace it with a summer emergency kit
- Keep emergency water in the vehicle
- Get a pre-summer tune-up from your mechanic
Packing Safely For Your Trip
In addition to performing regular maintenance and care on your car, it is important to pack safely for your trip. When packing your car, be sure to leave ample space so you can see clearly out of the back window. Do not pile suitcases or bags on sidewalks or walkways. If they topple, these items can become dangerous projectiles for pedestrians.
Even with properly inflated tires, your vehicle can only carry so much weight. Consult your vehicle manual to see what you can safely haul in your car or truck. If you use a hitch-mounted rack, know the limits of your rack and hitch.
Let Our Belmont Auto Repair Shop Get Your Car Ready for Your Summer Road Trip
Before you head out on your summer road trip, head over to Kirberg Motors. We offer tune-ups and summer services to get you out on the road quickly. Looking for the best Porsche mechanic in your area? We also specialize in German vehicles, including Volkswagen, Porsche, Mercedes, and BMWs. Call us at (650) 336-5911 to schedule an appointment or fill in our online form to get a free repair quote.